Sunday, February 8, 2009

SHAZAM...there it is...

Well, we are back from the near west. The mountains were mostly grey and snow covered, the trees bare, but there was a soothing, quiet feeling to the area. While enjoying my ride to the top of the tube slide, I began to look up to the sky and there it was....my new idea....trying to create the bare branch look on pottery pieces. I have seen something like this done before, but I am going to give it a try. I already know how I am going to do it, but who knows if it will turn out well, we will see.

Otherwise, the trip was short, but fun. The kids enjoyed skating, swimming, tubing, skiing and snow boarding. I mainly served as logistics coordinator this time around. Even though we are out of that "I need Mommy" stage, my youngest still cannot be left alone, and when her mind changes about an activity, well, let's just say we need to be flexible and have a patient and happy demeanor.

I try my best. This trip in particular was pretty funny. Every activity I said I would participate. Every activity I showed up, was outfitted for the occasion, was on time and ready for action. Every activity was either cut short, never started, or I was requested to take off the equipment and "just walk beside me"!

At some point, I will be able to just strap on skis again and take off for the day, but not quite yet.

Now, you may wonder, well what about the husband? Well, I was really proud of him. He has been a skier all his life. This weekend, he tried snowboarding. He did quite well, and was able to keep up with our son who has been doing it for a few years now. So, I had to let the "men" go and do their thing, while my daughter and I bonded, more!

It was a nice break, but I am glad to be back in the comfort of my own home. I always enjoy coming home again.

Tomorrow, I get back to the studio. I have managed to fill 1/2 of my large kiln with some projects I have done over the past 3 weeks. Hopefully, by the end of this week the kiln will be full and the bisque run will be complete. My first show for the year is March 28th. It is feeling like it will be here before I know it, and then I have 3 more that follow quickly thereafter, so I am feeling the pressure of getting things going. So, off I go... to the mud!

I am looking forward to underglazing some floral pieces that are already in the kiln. They take a long time to make, and need an extra kiln run to complete the process, but they are very popular, and I really love the end result. I will post the pieces as I take them through the process so you can see what goes into making one.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! I get that one TOTALLY! Kids can be funny and still demanding even when they are older. Glad you were patient and "showed up"! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete